Call it Karma, call it Paying It Forward, call it Doing Unto Others, call it whatever you like, but doing nice or helpful things for other people will come back to you eventually.
I’m not proposing you do for others while neglecting yourself, your family or your company! You should not to “give til it hurts.”
Often, it is the little things that count, not spending money.
- Holding the door for someone whose hands are full with coffee and a briefcase.
- Getting someone a condolence card after the loss of a pet
- Offering to take “the new guy” to lunch and show him the good places to eat
- Sending a newspaper article to a co-worker about his or her personal hobby
- Ask about a sick relative
- Recommend a great printer to them 🙂 curryprint.com
These small good deeds cost you nothing, and can mean the world to the recipient. Think how good you feel when someone does you a good turn!
Even if the good you do for others doesn’t come back to you immediately or obviously, what you are doing is planting the seeds of positive actions all around you. At some point, depending on the germination period, you too will experience the benefits.
A caveat…you should concentrate your “goodness” on those whom you feel are deserving of it for specific qualities or circumstances that mean something to you. In that way, it is a fair trade.
Let your garden grow!